Home Safety Tips
It is important that we incorporate safety in our homes, just as we do at work. We should have the same diligence to prevent accidents/injuries in our homes as in our workplaces.
Some useful safety tips for our homes are below:
Practice good housekeeping.
Keep things where they can be comfortably reached or use a ladder or step-stool (not a chair or other furniture) to safely retrieve them.
Keep drawers and cabinets closed when not in use.
Keep walkways clear of clutter and debris.
Ensure proper storage of chemicals (ex. solvents, cleaners).
Cooking, electricity, smoking, and candles can be fire hazards. Steps to reduce risks from fires include:
Keep candles and other sources of open ﬂames out of reach of children and away from anything ﬂammable.
Stay with your food when you cook. Cooking accidents are the number one cause of ﬁres, and a ﬁre is most likely to occur when the stove is unattended.
Keep chimneys and dryer exhausts well-ventilated and free of ﬂammable buildup by cleaning them regularly.
Install and maintain smoke detectors throughout your home. The National Fire Protection Association reports that three in five fire deaths result from home fires with no smoke alarms (or working smoke alarms).
Test smoke detectors monthly. Replace batteries twice a year.
Keep space heaters at least a few feet away from anything flammable, like blankets, curtains and clothing.
Keep ﬁre extinguishers in common areas like the kitchen, near the ﬁreplace, and near other sources of heat. Inspect fire extinguishers at least once a month.
Create an escape plan with two exit routes in case of fire. Practice the plan with members of your household.
If you live in a two-story house, buy a rescue ladder. It should attach to an upper-level window casing to provide an alternate escape route.
Poisoning aﬀects people of all ages. Actions you can take to prevent accidental poisonings at home:
Keep household cleaning supplies, paints, and other chemicals out of reach of children. If you can’t store these items out of reach, use locks to secure any lower cabinets you place them in.
Store medicines and vitamins out of children’s reach. Avoid placing them on countertops or tables where kids can easily get to them.
Do not use old drink bottles or food containers to store household cleaners or toxic chemicals. This confuses both children and adults.
Be responsible with medications and dispose of them properly. Take prescription medications only as prescribed and avoid sharing them with others.
Install working carbon monoxide detectors to alert you if the CO levels at home get dangerously high. Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and tasteless Detectors sound the alert before it’s too late.
Faulty or damaged wiring and related electrical equipment cause 69 percent of electrical fires. To prevent electrical fires:
Inspect and replace or repair damaged electrical cords.
Follow appliance instructions for improved electrical safety.
Follow the path of cords. Cords should not run under rugs or across doorways.
If you have any small children in your house, place plastic safety covers over unused outlets.
Make sure that you’ve followed manufacturers’ directions about maximum wattage of lamp bulbs and outlet requirements for plugs.
Do not overload outlets. Overloading an electrical is a common cause of electrical problems.
Use the correct wattage of light bulbs.
§ Minor injuries are common (cuts, scrapes, burns).
Have a first aid kit on hand in the event of a minor injury.
Take a class on how to administer first aid to be able to administer CPR, know the proper techniques for stopping bleeding, and know what to do if someone is choking.
Follow the tips listed above to decrease your chances of sustaining in injury in your home. Remember, safety has no quitting time!